Flavius Josephus (ca. 37-100 CE)
Seminar with Dr. David Trobisch
Josephus, the first century Judean historian, writes about Jesus of Nazareth, John the Baptist, Pilate, James the Just, the fall of Jerusalem, Pharisees and Sadducees, the canon of Jewish Scripture and many other topics half a century before the New Testament was put together and published for the first time. His geographic descriptions have been validated by modern archeology, his portrayal of the religious scene at the time of Jesus forms a welcome contrast to the descriptions from the Dead Sea Scrolls and from Early Christian writings.
If there is a passage you would like to read in class and have us discuss it, note it and send me an email. We will read from the following chapters in class.
2nd week: The Jewish War
- Book 2, Chapter 8. Essenes
- Book 3, Chapter 8. Josephus’ Capture
- Book 6. Fall of Jerusalem
- [Book 7. Fall of Massada]
3rd week: The Antiquities
- Book XVIII
- 3 (1-5 = 55-83) Pilate, Jesus
- 4,6 – 5, 3( = 106-129) John the Baptist
- Book XX
- [if you have time: 7-8 = 137-196 Nero, Felix, Festus]
- 9 Jesus’ brother James
- 11 (2-3 = 259-268) End of the work
4th week: Against Apion
- Book 1 (5-8=23-43)
- PDF copies: The Slavonic Additions
Dates, Location, Cost
- Dates: Tuesday 8/14 3:00-5:30 PM. 8/21. 8/28. 9/4.
- We will finalize dates and times when we first meet on 8/14 at 3:00 PM.
- Location: Walter’s Study. 3994 East Farm Road 156, Springfield, MO 65809.
- Cost: $ 125.00.
- Dates: Thursday 7:00 PM to 9:30 PM. 8/16, 8/23, 8/30, 9/6.
- Place: Community Christian Church of Springfield. 4806 E. Cherry, Springfield, MO 65809.
- Cost: $ 125.00.
If you are interested, please send me an email at email@example.com.
- Bring a Christian Bible
- Any edition of Josephus complete works will do.
If you buy one, I suggest:
- The New Complete Works of Josephus: Revised and Expanded Edition, 1999, Published by Kregel Publications, Grand Rapids, MI. Link to Amazon.
PDF files (free):
- Public Domain editions to download: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/1050
- Kindle: CLICK HERE
- Nook: CLICK HERE
Feel free to contact Dr. David Trobisch by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The image depicts Epaphroditus, Josephus' Roman publisher.